27 August 2010

Tips n Tricks #6: Tonal Striping


Another quick tip I learnt from observing and watched it discussed in a tutorial. This is a theory more than a technique on how to attain an illusion of depth. You can achieve this through atmospheric perspective but I wont discuss that (as it involves light behavior that I am not completely knowledgeable on). So tonal striping is a trick you can add to your environments to add depth and I try to do this where I can (unless I forget :P). Basically, you have to vary the tones in the environment as you venture towards the distance. This avoids things appearing flat as you are literally adding depth through a variety of values that helps pull your eyes about. The image above is pretty self-explanatory of this. So where you can, add some variety into your values!

No comments: